Sunday, September 14, 2014

Begin the Week with Words

My Honors English 9 classes are reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Easy reading for them, yes...thought processes, no. The story is so full of elements beyond the surface happenings, that it makes for a good teaching tool. Since the story is easy to comprehend, we can spend all of our time on analysis. As we read, the students are tracking: Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey," allegory, specific character analysis, and questioning and observing, which is basically reading between the lines. That's quite a few things to do as you read. So in rereading this childhood classic, I stumbled upon a sentence that caught my eye. Enjoy.


"But in general, take my advice, when you meet anything that's going to be human and isn't yet, or used to be human once and isn't now, or ought to be human and isn't, you keep your eyes on it and feel for your hatchet.” The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Great quote! I haven't ever been able to answer the question about which Narnia book is my favorite. I do love this one. But, I also really, really love The Last Battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the one I've read the most times and I've taught it a couple times, so I guess I'd say it's my favorite. When I teach a book a couple years I get to know it much better than just a one time read and I end up feeling close to it, even if I didn't originally like the story.

      Delete