Thursday, June 19, 2014

We Were Liars

Source: Amazon.com
Well, I didn't see that one coming...even with warnings and crazy non-reviews that should've made me suspect some crazy ending (like Andi's at Estella's Revenge, which finally pushed me over the edge and made me read it). We Were Liars follows a few summers of the wealthy Sinclair family on Beechwood Island, where they own four summer homes and an endless supply of money to buy whatever other happiness they could want.

The part you can see coming is that such immense wealth can only lead to no good. The part you can't see - and won't until it smacks you in the face - is the shape in which the "no good" hits. It's tragedy at its worst, preventable tragedy.

Cadence suffers memory loss and debilitating migraines due to the tragedy, so the story follows her as she pieces together what happened that one summer two years ago. Although you are collecting the clues as you read, the ending will still hit you put of nowhere. There's not much else worth saying, because the ending will turn any details I give on end anyway. So read it. It's a relatively fast read too, due to both the size and the suspense.

PS: Summer vacation is almost two weeks in and I've read five books already! I'm stoked!

Anyone else read any REALLY outstanding YA lately? 

20 comments:

  1. I love that you're reading YA. This sounds surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep an eye out for the really good ones to put on my classroom shelf. I've been coming across quite a few lately.

      Delete
  2. I don't generally (ever) read YA, but I am definitely going to pick this one up. I have not heard one bad thing. And it sounds like a perfect summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's why I read it. Hadn't heard one bad thing about it. I didn't even know it was YA until I picked it up.

      Delete
  3. I really loved this one, too, and I'm glad to see it getting attention in the adult book world. Hooray for summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. That's oh you know a good story - when it breaks through its genre. Hope your summer is going well too!

      Delete
  4. Look at you burning through books! Sounds like it's going to be a productive summer for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it keeps up! But now I'm afraid to read any chunksters...might slow me down! Lol

      Delete
    2. I know exactly what you mean! I started Outlander this morning and I'm excited but I also looked at the size of it and kind of sighed like "this is going to kill my numbers."

      Delete
  5. All of you fans of this book are convincing me to read it! I'm so intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five books in two weeks? That is wonderful. I'm glad you liked this one -- I thought it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But I'm reading a challenging Chunkster now, so I can just feel myself being held back! Lol. At least goodreads says I'm six books ahead of schedule.

      Delete
  7. WINNNNN!!!! So glad you tried this one and liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - and going on my classroom bookshelf too!

      Delete
  8. Oh no! I have a copy of this I've been planning to get to, but I find preventable tragedy the most frustrating, so having read your review, I'm guessing I won't enjoy this as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you think about it, the main characters are teenagers...and teenagers are generally a mess to begin with. So maybe that will help. And it has like a Romeo and Juliet effect...a tragedy among the teens makes the adults sit up and take notice of their bad behavior,

      Delete
  9. I really need to read this. I like YA from time to time, it can be a nice change of pace, particularly when it's really awesome YA, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hit or miss with YA, so I wait until I see a few good reviews in a row usually, but I agree it turns out better when you read it before too much is said.

    ReplyDelete