Monday, June 2, 2014

The Storyteller, a Tale on Forgiveness

Source: http://www.jodipicoult.com/
the-storyteller.html
I have read many Jodi Picoult books over the past fifteen years, as well as my fair share of Holocaust works, both fiction and nonfiction. Knowing both as well as I do, you would think I would've read The Storyteller with absolute caution. But, once again, Jodi Picoult yanks you into the story, shocking and breaking your heart with her unnerving story and twist ending. The exception with this Picoult book is its historical relevance and a very real question of forgiveness. It's not just a random story that "could've been." This is a well-researched Holocaust story. It is devastating beyond words. Really, there are no words.

A quick basis for those who aren't familiar with this book: 92-year-old Josef Weber approaches a young Jewish woman, Sage Singer, befriending her and eventually revealing that he was a Nazi soldier who worked in the women's section of the infamous Auschwitz death camp. He details his life growing up, which gives a unique perspective of a desperate, suffering Germany that accepted Hitler as their only hope of working, eating, and living again. Josef, who seems to regret his past, asks Sage to forgive him on behalf of the Jews and help him die. The other half of the story comes from Sage's grandmother and Holocaust survivor, Minka, detailing Holocaust horrors I've never read before. It is not a story for everyone, although all of the narrators' voices are captivating in their own ways.

The theme running throughout is that of forgiveness. Whose is it to give? Is there anything unforgivable? What does it mean to the person doing the forgiving? As Sage hears Josef’s Nazi history and her grandmother’s Holocaust survival story for the first time within days of each other, her mind is reeling with conflicting emotions. When she makes a connection between the stories, intense pain and anger are the emotions that win out. Knowing forgiveness is the right thing doesn’t make it the easy or logical thing to do. One particular passage caught my eye. When Sage asks how a priest can hear confessions he can't bear and still go on, her friend Mary, an ex-nun, gives her this advice on forgiveness:

"You know, Sage, Jesus didn’t tell us to forgive everyone. He said turn the other cheek, but only if you were the one who was hit. Even the Lord’s Prayer says it loud and clear: Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Not others. What Jesus challenges us to do is to let go of the wrong done to you personally, not the wrong done to someone else. But most Christians incorrectly assume this means that being a good Christian means forgiving all sins, and all sinners" (Picoult 450).

What is Mary saying here? Honestly, I discussed this passage and the overall story with some trusted mentors because the idea of forgiveness is so backwards to human nature. (Their gems of wisdom are paraphrased within this paragraph, along with my own.) Simply put, that Sage must be able to forgive personally before she can forgive corporally. You cannot forgive on a bigger level until you've personally let the hurt and anger go. Something else Mary understands is that, for individuals, letting go of personal hurt often depends upon where you place the line between the forgivable and unforgivable. Although forgiveness is an exercise in grace that sets up a person's heart and mind for peace, hope, and joy, it is extremely hard to think clearly and let go in the grip of intense emotion. Rather than have Sage tackle the bigger issue in forgiving, Mary has her focus on the personal hurt, knowing it will also deal with the bigger picture at some point. Forgiveness frees the injured party from bitterness and oppression more than anything else. As it's been said, "Withholding forgiveness is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die from it."

Sage has indeed drawn a line and in the end she realizes this; however, you'll have to read the story to see her decision for yourself. Not to mention all of the other ways forgiveness comes into play in this story. If The Storyteller doesn't make you think, I don't know what will. I highly recommend it. If you'd like more background on the true story behind this story, see Jodi Picoult's site. She gives more insight on the topic of forgiveness and what she found among the Holocaust survivors she interviewed.

Anyone out there a Jodi Picoult fan - or not? Favorite book - or the one that did you in?

19 comments:

  1. I loved reading your review and I can agree that this book was devastating. I don't think I've ever reacted so emotionally to a book as I have with The Storyteller. I tried not to bring too much emotion into my review, hence I just said there were a lot of tears, but there was one point in the book that I literally had to put the book aside so hard I was crying :(

    I watched Schindler's List after reading this book and although people told me the movie will make you sob, I don't think that my emotional reaction to that film comes close to how The Storyteller made me feel. It's a powerful book in remembrance of the Holocaust, but especially on the topic of forgiveness.

    Beautiful review and thanks for reminding me of that quote. It's quite thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I agree about the emotion. This book is the most emotional Holocaust story I've read. And I like that she explores the topic of forgiveness through more than one character. Sage has more than one situation to look at and she realizes her grandmother made a decision on the topic as well. It puts the topic in a context we can relate to besides the extreme case of the Holocaust.

      Delete
  2. "Withholding forgiveness is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die from it."

    I've been drinking it for fifty years and he is still alive.

    This is, hands down, the most beautiful and thought provoking review I have ever read. I'm using your words to dilute the liquid in the bottle that has a skull and crossbones on it. I will most definitely read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolynn...means a lot coming from you cause I know you'll be nothing but honest. I'm so glad you are going to dump the load of junk. I've also had people tell me that forgiveness is sometimes more than a one time deal...feelings come back and you have to give them up again before that poison seeps in. I've experienced this, so I'm willing to say I believe it.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review! I'm always skeptical of Jodi Picoult books (mostly because I SUPER HATED The Pact, though I've liked several of her other books.) This one might have to be my next Picoult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, everyone has that same book, The Pact, as their hated Picoult - myself included. Definitely make this your next Picoult!

      Delete
  4. "Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give yourself." Maya Angelou

    Love this quote. Easier said than done sometimes!!

    My favorite Picout book is Keeping Faith, and I also enjoyed Nineteen Minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice quote. One of my favourite quotes about self-forgiveness is by Cassandra Clare. "We can't all have the luxury of blaming ourselves."

      Delete
    2. And Maya Angelou no less! I don't think I've read Keeping Faith, but I think I have it! I'll get to it...Picoult is the one author I never tire of,

      Delete
  5. I am a huge Jodi fan and this one is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one is my favorite, which is big. The first Picoult I ever read, Plain Truth, has remained my favorite for fifteen years, until now.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read one of her books in ages. This one sounds like something I would really like. I'm a big fan of darker books..I don't know what that says about me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read her for awhile either and people said she was losing her touch. When this one came out I starting seeing people say she was back to good old Picoult. (I haven't read a book of hers yet that shows she "lost her touch.") liking dark books says your a deep person! Lol

      Delete
  7. Great review! I haven't read a Picoult book in a while -- I wasn't crazy about the last few. And I particularly disliked The Tenth Circle. But The Storyteller sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've heard quite a few people say the last few lost their magic, but that this one redeemed it all, so definitely check it put!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an absolutely powerful read--something I've come to expect from Picoult. There really are no easy answers...and even the questions are tough to ask. Have you read The Reader by Schlink? I read it years ago and it has still stuck with me.

    It's been years since I've read Picoult--think I just burned out on her books, but The Pact was my first and My Sister's Keeper was the one that really did me in. Sobbing heaving mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read The Reader and it was different. I do have to read a couple books between two Picoult books - the heavy ethical dilemmas are so hard sometimes. But she writes captivating stories and I like that they really make me consider "what if..."

      Delete
  9. Your review makes me interested in reading this, but I'm generally nervous about picking up Picoult's books because they seem so sad. My little sister is a huge fan though and it seems like you enjoyed it, so I'm thinking of giving her a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is definitely sad (as are most of her others). But, at least this one is familiar territory with the topic of the Holocaust. So if you've read Holocaust works before, you know what to expect, kind of.

      Delete