Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Rise and Shine...and Disappoint

Source: Amazon.com
Once again, I'm tackling the TBR pile while I have time between reviews I've requested or accepted from authors and publishers. This time I read Rise and Shine, by Anna Quindlen, which has been on my shelf since 2006 (yikes)! I've read numerous of Quindlen's older books, all written by her and read by me before the year 2000...so it's been awhile.

I remember liking her older books. She was among the first authors that introduced me to contemporary fiction in college - outside of my usual classics and what there was of a YA genre in my teen years. Rise and Shine's summary (both on the cover and Amazon) hooked me. Here's an excerpt of it:

"It’s an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice’s perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of Rise and Shine, the country’s highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break–but not before she mutters two forbidden words into her open mike." And this event is said to unravel much about Meghan and her family's lives.

Overall, I didn't care too much for the story. The story centers around fame and celebrity-crazed America, which sets up huge possibilities. However, the two curse words Meghan speaks on live TV didn't seem to have the effect the summary implies they would. It's not even clear why she said what she did or what was done about it. And it seemed Meghan used her wealth to run away and recover easily, whereas others have to face life head on in the midst of trials in order to keep surviving. No convenient running away. Realistic or not, that just made me dislike her even more.

I didn't care for any characters except Meghan's son Leo and only latter for sister Bridget and her boyfriend. Bridget's social work job and life interested me vastly more than Meghan's fame and maybe the difference between the two was supposed to be noticeable and purposely speak of something I missed.

The ending was the best part, mostly because that's where much of the action took place and the story picked up. I would read Anna Quindlen again because I've read her before and enjoyed her writing and stories. It was just this book that seemed rather disappointing.

Anyone out there ever read Quindlen? Who was among the first authors to introduce you to a new genre?

8 comments:

  1. Sorry this disappointed. I really want to do this too - tackle the TBR pile in between, but it's so hard to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I mean, first you have to find the break between (ha, good luck) and then ignore some other major titles in want to read. I have Eleanor and Park and Me Before You calling to me from my bedside as I read some of these TBRs.

      Delete
    2. Me Before You - tell me about it. Been wanting to read it forever! I even have books I purchased 2 years ago. I really need to find a balance, because I love getting new releases, but at the same time I know I'll never get to read the books I have (old ones)

      Delete
    3. I've been purposely staying away from EW and NetGalley. And I've been completely judging books by their titles, not looking any further, so that I won't be drawn to as many of them!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Quindlen but maybe this one I will skip. What are your favorites from her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, skip this one. I thought it was just me, so after posting this I went to read the Amazon reviews and wow, I am not the only one thinking this.

      If I recall correctly I liked Black and Blue. But I'm pulling that title up from 1998 at least! So I recall liking the book, but that's about it.

      Delete
  3. I've only read her non-fiction about books (woo!). Sorry this one didn't work out for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read How Reading Changed My Life? I read that one last year and of course agreed with most everything she had to say! Lol

      Delete