Monday, March 24, 2014

The Returned are Resurrected

Source: goodreads.com
NOTE: Possible spoilers. I try not give events away straight out, however my ponderings may imply or lead to a spoiler in some way, especially about the ending. Read at your own risk. 

I've been meaning to read The Returned, by Jason Mott, and the beginning of the series Resurrection based on The Returned seemed like perfect timing. The series is only three episodes in, but so far there is very little similar.

The Returned are specifically people who have come back from the dead. These Returned recall their last moments, but all they remember from there is waking up again. The story focuses on the Hargrave family, Harold and Lucille, and the return of their eight-year-old son Jacob, who had died fifty years before. (In between every chapter is a mini story of a Returned person's experience. These stories gave small insights into how the Returned felt or how the True Living - those who never died - reacted, but didn't really add up to anything in the end.)

Soon the Returned begin to rise in number, frightening many people just because of the unnaturalness of it all and causing the government to act. The government forms a bureau whose job it is to round up the Returned and keep them locked up in a camp of sorts. With the large number of returned being shipped in, the Hargrave's town is soon taken over by the government and the True Living are soon living as sad and confusing a life as the Returned kept inside the fenced areas.

I kept waiting for an answer. A why or how this was taking place. When I was fifty pages from the end and still could not see any glimpse of an answer forthcoming, the story began to fall flat. Even with some action popping up at the end, the answers themselves still never came. And as mysteriously as the Returned appeared, they begin to disappear again. And that is the end of that.

I was quite disappointed because I felt the story idea had so much potential...which is why I suppose it was picked up as a TV series. The series begins with a focus on Jacob and his family, but adds other Returned and changes some character relationships that are never present in the book. However, because of the book's absolute inability to answer the stirring questions, I feel any changes the series makes are justified and necessary. I know that sounds harsh, but I just couldn't understand how this book could end without a single word to explain it.

Has a book left you completely disappointed because it didn't live up to its potential?

18 comments:

  1. I was disappointed with this book, too. Haven't seen the series yet, but it has to be better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the first episode alone was already better.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I thought the book was ok but there was so much room to do more that was left unexplored. The TV show is ok, they made some good casting choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the book had been done better, I imagine I'd be saying the TV show wasn't good enough. That's how it usually works. I do like the casting too.

      Delete
  3. Has a book left you completely disappointed because it didn't live up to its potential?

    Oh yes. Most recently SYCAMORE ROW, by John Grisham. It was so bad, I actually put it aside so I could read GALVESTON, by Nic Pizzolatto, writer of the HBO series I was smitten with, TRUE DETECTIVE. Now I'm back to SYCAMORE ROW, and I'll finish it, but honestly? I think the only reason that book is/was in the top ten is because of his name. He introduced so many characters, I swear there are something like 30-40 - maybe more! I had trouble keeping up with them. It definitely didn't live up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the fact that they advertised that book as the sequel to A Tme to
      Kill. Glad I didn't jump on it like I was thinking.

      Delete
  4. Womp womp. I really liked The Returned, and Resurrection is kind of addictive, too! But I totally get the disappointment thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! You're the third who loved it! What's wrong with me ?! Lol

      Delete
  5. Oh bummer! I wonder if the expectations got to you? Or maybe it just wasn't your kind of book. I happened to really dig it. I'd like to check out the new show too. I haven't yet but I suppose I will at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it except for that fact that there's no why or how. That was a huge, huge let down for me. I'm liking the TV show, although it's much creepier than the book.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you didn't like this one. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it because I seem to be in a minority for my opinion!

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this series! We're a bit behind, though--we just started Lost a few weeks ago. ;) SO disappointing when a book doesn't live up to your expectations. I find this happens a bit because of books that are so hyped by bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably the first series I've started watching from the very beginning. I usually come seasons in and binge watch for months to catch up. This one didn't live up to expectations because it didn't even feel finished, which doesn't bother everyone.

      Delete
  8. I'm about to finish the book and yes, I'm a bit disappointed but mainly because I don't see the action this book should have had. I've watched 2 episodes of the TV series and I've found it more interesting since they add mysterious points on the deaths of the characters.
    I'll finish it today, so we'll see what I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed. I would think something so crazy happening would mean a bit more action.

      Delete
  9. Not to step on any toes but don't you think you are missing the point? I can understand the frustration concerning the 'why' and 'how' but I don't think that's the point the writer was trying to make. This book wasn't written to tell how or why something like this would happen but rather to get people thinking of the reaction to it. Many people who have lost a dear loved one will admit to having wished them back. The question is, what would you do if it happened to you? I doubt many people would be running off to find out why as opposed to dealing with the sudden return of someone with whom they believed was gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point...making the reader think What if? I wish it had a little more action though.

      Delete