Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The House Girl

Source: goodreads.com
I am so excited! First of all, I finished grading all of my essays and book projects! I sat down and just. kept. going. AND this is the third read-a-long type event I've successfully completed this year! I usually get behind or don't start at all. Everyone's picking really good books too! I just finished The House Girl, by Tara Conklin, for Katie's read-a-long (at Words For Worms). If you'd like to join in, there's still time. She will post the discussion at the end of March.

There are a few things I liked about this story. First is the dual narrative, told between slave Josephine Bell in the mid-1800s and lawyer Lina Swallow in the present day, post 9/11. As a slave, Josephine's story is probably one you've heard before, but no less tragic because of it. Lina is a lawyer working on a precedent setting case dealing with reparation of slavery, where she discovers Josephine's history. As the two women's stories unfold they not only give insight to themselves, but also to each other.

Which is the other piece of this story I enjoyed. The characters are all searching and neither time nor place interferes with the familiar story human existence has played out over the centuries. Your past, your present, and what you hope for in the future, all pieces we replay in our minds or search for anywhere we think possible. This similarity despite time binds the characters together and affects Lina in a drastic way.

And for those of you who love how recent stories have included art or music as centers to their stories, The House Girl's characters and events center in part around artwork from the pre-Civil War years and the question as to who is the real artist.

And look at the beautiful cover! Love it!

Art, slavery, search for self...this story has what it takes to make a gripping story. Do you usually find southern Civil War era based stories interesting?

15 comments:

  1. I hate multiple narrators or shifting perspectives between past and present, but so far this one is working for me. The writing is beautiful and engrossing. Also curious how she'll handle some of the traditional slave story tropes. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's better than expected! And congrats Andi! Loved following the posts and pics of your amazing weekend and honeymoon!

      Delete
  2. I have to laugh at Andi's comment because I immediately thought about our book club (we are in the same f2f book club) and how SO many of the books we've read have been alternating narrators. We've both kind of tired of them a bit. I do like Civil War era books, though, and it's been a while since I've read one. I'll have to keep this one in the back of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yea too much of the same set up would get old. Definitely wait so you can enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I JUST finished this! I'm still trying to digest it and mull it all over. Soooo many things to discuss! I'm excited you joined in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been by my bed waiting, so it was a good pick!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was. The author handled the dual narrative really well.

      Delete
  5. I generally don't like slave narratives but (unlike Andi ;>) I do enjoy a shifting perspective and being unempl--, I mean, a currently inactive attorney, it's nice to live vicariously through literary lawyers. (That sounds like it could be a feature.)

    I might actually pick this one up now.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You might have a unique perspective on this one if you reviewed it! Any book with familiar situations, such as a career, are great to hear about from the people "who know."

      Delete
  6. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I was a little iffy on it, but the dual narrative worked, even though there way one narrative I did prefer more than the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to pick a favorite author in a dual narrative. I almost always find I like one more than the other, even if only just a little.

      Delete
  7. Definitely a beautiful cover! I have this on my wishlist, actually.

    ReplyDelete