Thursday, March 6, 2014

King's March: The Shawshank Redemption


I'm a late comer to the Stephen King fan club, mainly because I'm not a fan of anything scary, especially monster-like/horror scary. I can say I actually tried a few in high school: Misery and Carrie, which weren't so bad. Most of Stephen King's iconic work permeates the novel and movie fronts, making it hard to not know his stories, regardless of whether or not you've read or seen them. When I started reading more widely across genres and authors, I found that King had a memoir and some great literary fiction as well. On Writing, his memoir of writing, was the first book I read. And of course, I'd seen the movie version of The Green Mile and loved it, however sad it is. My favorite King read so far is 11/22/63, the time travel novel that coincides with the assassination of JFK.

So, I was more than happy to join Wensend and Fourth Street Review for their March reading event, King's March, in which bloggers will read Stephen King books and link up on their blogs weekly to share their thoughts. This gave me the chance to read a story I'd been curious about for awhile. I decided to read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, a King short story that may be better known by its movie title, "The Shawshank Redemption." At only 77 pages, it didn't take long at all and was worth it.

In King's short story, Red is the man who can "get things" in Shawshank prison. This sets him up as the perfect narrator because everyone knows him and he knows everyone. Red gives his own background story, the intentional murder of his wife and incidentally, the accidental death of the neighbor woman and her child, in a car with weakened brakes. He then begins to talk about Andy Dufresne, a banker who was found guilty of murdering his wife and her lover. From the start Andy claims innocence, which is hard for any of the inmates to believe. Andy begins the next twenty-some years being abused by fellow prisoners. He soon finds his groove when he begins helping prison guards get the most from their taxes and the warden's money laundering. He becomes important within the prison and is allowed to open a library, also gaining the protection of the guards from the torture of other inmates. Andy becomes so important that it seems the warden will do anything to make sure he never leaves Shawshank, even when a clear opportunity arises.

What no one knows about is Andy's secret activity...not even Red, who is closer to him than anyone. However, I don't want to spoil it, in case you've neither read this story, nor seen the movie. It is too good to know the ending ahead of time.

I have to say, the movie did a satisfactory job at keeping to the story. Of course, having seen the movie countless times, I imagined Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins playing the roles of Red and Andy throughout. Even when the story revealed to me that the character of Red is an Irsihman, therefore also a white man, I still preferred Morgan Freeman...he's the bomb! And honestly, I'd say make sure you see the movie! They changed a few things and even removed a few years and characters to make the movie flow, but overall, the entire story is intact and I much prefer the justice of the movie's ending to that of the story. (And you know you don't hear the movie preference from me often!) Guess you'll just have to read and watch to see what I mean.

What's your experience with Stephen king's short stories?

18 comments:

  1. This is a King I need to add to my list. I can't handle the super scary stuff, but dude can write a story! I'm reading The Green Mile right now and loving it, this sounds like a great companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! You'd like it, and like I said, watch the movie if you haven't. The ending to the movie is better in my opinion...it leaves some jerks getting what they had coming to them! Lol

      I have seen The Green Mile, but if I'm going to read another King book, that's the one is likely pick.

      Delete
  2. The only Stephen King novel I have read is 11/22/63 and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite reservations. I've been wanting to read more King novels but had no idea where to start, especially is I was purchasing. This month I'm challenging myself to read purely books from the library and hoped to pick up a King one along the way.

    I wasn't aware of King's March but think it'll proved to be handy dandy to me now that I'm actively seeking out his works.

    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! They will be posting a link up every week this month so you can get recommendations on all kinds of King works!

      Delete
  3. I do love the scary stuff, but I have to admit that this is my favorite of King's literary pieces. (Though 11/22/63 was pretty good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I can't usually read a book or watch a movie repeatedly, but this one is an exception.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read King in years although ON WRITING sits on my desk next to about a dozen books I respect most regarding the craft. NIGHT SHIFT turned me onto King eons ago and for awhile he was all I read. We used to have a vacation house in Maine, I drove by his house many times, he is legend.
    I am always shocked when someone tells me they are not familiar with his work or are turned off by the horror aspect. He's just amazing, scary stuff and all.

    A side note.
    I always liked that at the end of his short story collections he would write a few lines about how he came up with the premise for some of his weirdest stuff. That idea is the backbone of a project I am working on now. The force and fallout of everyone's writing is fascinating to me.
    As a columnist, why I wrote, what I wrote and what happened after, is sometimes more interesting than what I wrote.

    One of my all time favorite King short stories, The Mist.
    The movie changed the ending. I HATED the movie ending so much I wrote a letter to the director. The ending made me mad; they pulled the rug out from under me and I felt betrayed.
    Shawshank, my all time favorite. A classic. I've read it and watched it dozens of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King has some great stories about ow he got ideas for his books. I think On Writing has a few such stories in it. And they changed what happens to the warden and main guard in Shawkshank movie, but I liked the change...it felt justified.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read The Shawshank Redemption, but I loved the movie. How do you like the other stories in the collection? I recently read Blockade Billy which contains two novellas, but it was just okay. I used to be a big fan of Stephen King, but I haven't read his book for years. I thought this year I would try to catch up a bit. I'm reading Joyland to start King's March since I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this one from the collection, mainly because I'd seen and loved the movie, I wanted to know how close the movie had kept to the story. I haven't read very much King, but the last one was 11/22/63.

      Delete
  6. I have one of his biggies for King's March - Under the Dome, which is a nice read, but God, it's long. I always feel that King sometimes doesn't know where to stop.

    It's nice to read about a short story of his that is actually short :). I loved the movie, and so must read this story as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean by a short story that's actually short with King! And it's still 77 pages long. I've heard good things about Under the Dome, not to mention the TV series. I should check it out - expand my King experience.

      Delete
  7. Hi there! I saw your link up at Small Victories. I have not read Shawshank, although your review makes me interested! If you like cozy or humorous mysteries, please visit my blog this week. I've got a giveaway going for 3 autographed copies of Diana Orgain's Nursing A Grudge. Cheers!
    http://experiencedbadmom.com/nursing-a-grudge-giveaway-a-maternal-instincts-mystery/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will be making my way around the links and stop by your giveaway!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing with my Small Victories Sunday linky! Hmmm, i thought i commented already on this or maybe it was another post, or it's deja vu here. You have me curious to read Shawshank. I love the way you review books, I sure wish I had you as a teacher as a kid, maybe my love for reading would've started earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the link up! I found some great posts to read and/or comment on. And thanks for the compliment :) I find as a teacher it's more about planting seeds...I don't see too much happen in the couple years I have them, but quite a few come back later and have picked up some kind of reading habit. Makes it worth it!

      Delete
  9. This is the only King story I liked better as a movie! But it's the one I recommend to most people who don't read King because they don't like horror. I have read very few of his short stories, but I just started a collection Full Dark, No Stars and till now, it's been awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! It is an amazing movie and I couldn't get it out of my head while I read.

      Delete