Friday, February 28, 2014

Insurgent

Source: deviantart.com
Note: This is not the book's cover
Having just finished Divergent (comparable to the Hunger Games), I read Insurgent as soon as I could get my hands on a copy. And once I had it, I read it in two days - that is alongside working, my kids, previously scheduled activities, and some sleep! Otherwise, it would've been done in a day easy. I really enjoyed Divergent, so I felt compelled to see what happened next!

Following the theme of dystopian trilogies, Insurgent plays the role a second novel usually does: development of the characters and the push of revolution that the first novel established as needed. In the Hunger Games trilogy, we see the second novel, Catching Fire, as the way in which rebels push their revolution into action. Insurgent spends the entire story on the revolution that began at the end of Divergent. Of course, with a third book in the series, it doesn't end with all the loose ends tied up. There's still the idea of "what now?" So, the revolution is far from over.

It is hard to discuss a book where most actions are important pieces to the story without spoiling something somewhere. But assuming you've read Divergent, I can say that Insurgent calls into question the relationships of which Divergent made the reader seem so sure. Uncertainty reigns in whom a person can trust and the mystery of some important information that only a few know and yet seems worth killing half the community over.

Insurgent is a whirlwind of uncertainty that ends with a shocking revelation about the existence of the five faction society and the purpose for which none of them realize they are to live.

Are you a fan of dystopian lit or does it all sound the same to you?

18 comments:

  1. I thought this book was really dull... especially Tris and Four, who seemed to be fighting just for the sake of fighting without either one really making an effort to change. But the twist at the end, wow! That was enough to get me to read Allegiant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twist was definitely good, but worried me because I'd already heard how disappointing everyone thinks Allegiant is.

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this trilogy. I'm not sure if I will? Maybe?? I don't usually go in for dystopian stuff. Of course that doesn't mean that I never will. This is the babbliest comment ever. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - they all have a lot in common, so if you ever try one you'll get a good idea of what you think about the genre as a whole. Of course, most of the dystopian I read is YA, if that makes any difference.

      Delete
  3. I love dystopian lit but... there are certainly themes that tend to be used over and over. So I don't read a lot of dytopian lit in one stretch, ya know? :) I want to finish this series soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, although the premise behind Divergent is slightly different than Hunger Games, there are so many similarities. I think I am liking Divergent better than Hunger Games though.

      Delete
  4. I've read a few dystopian lit books over the years and I enjoyed them.

    p.s. - I nominated you for a blog award: http://trysomething2014.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is the most positive review that I've seen for Insurgent - not that I've been looking at the reviews at all. I wasn't crazy about Divergent, but this review makes me think I might go ahead and finish out the trilogy. I also like the thing that everyone else hates about Allegiant - (I've read the spoilers. I'm deep, dark and important like that :>)

    Thanks for linking up with Spread the Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main thing about this one was I wasn't sure who to trust.you couldn't tell which side was the best side to take. There was a little more romance in this one too, which I've heard some people didn't care for.

      A student accidentally gave a spoiler for Allegiant and now I'm seeing the dual narrative. I have a feeling that even if I like the book, I may not like the ending,

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Insurgent, and I read it about a month before Allegiant was released. I'm thinking that perhaps my anticipation of Allegiant led it to be a disappointment. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed the last book of a few trilogies I've read lately seem to fall flat. I've been anticipating the same with this one...

      Delete
  7. I loved Divergent, but I was disappointed with Insurgent. I felt that Tris' behaviour was inconsistent from the first book and I thought the twists were good, but I'm not going to rush to read Allegiant. I have always been a fan of science fiction and dystopian fiction, but this is my first YA dystopian series. Have you read any other books in this category besides Divergent and The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read Dashner's Maze Runner trilogy, the first book is being made into a movie this fall. I felt that trilogy was ultimately a let down and making movies may redeem the books. His main hook through the whole series is a major use of suspense. But the series ends with many questions left open, so it was unsatisfying. A "prequel" book was writ tent hat supposedly answers questions, but I lost interest having read three books without answers as it was.

      Delete
  8. I just recently finished Divergent, but have not begun Insurgent yet. My biggest apprehension in beginning the second book is that in comparison to its predecessor- Divergent literally made my heart pound at sometimes and I would have finished it sooner if I didn't have to repeatedly set it on my lap and wait for my heart beat to slow down- Insurgent will lack the same articulation and flow that was so enjoyable to read. I was wondering if you could confirm or discount these fears, and maybe even shed some light in this respect on the third book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divergent was definitely my favorite of the three books, so I know what you mean. To me Insurgent was equally action packed. The moments of romance between characters intensifies and Insurgent ends in a shocker that makes you want to read the third book. (Although I don't feel the third book keeps up with the first two as much.) The writing and flow of the story seemed as good to me. I picked out sentences to use for my weekly focus in Insurgent as much as I did in Divergent. I don't think you'll be disappointed, although Divergent may remain your favorite. There is nothing quite like diving into a new world for the first time.

      Delete
  9. I will start this trilogy sooner or later, but as you told me I must finish the Hunger Games first, this will have to wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, but I have to say that I may like Divergent better than Hunger Games! I'm still pondering it.

      Delete