Sunday, February 23, 2014

Divergent

Source: xxtayce.deviantart.com
Note: This is not the book's cover
I finally read Divergent, by Veronica Roth. I've always intended to, but wanted to wait until the whole series was published. Plus, the movie comes out in March and you better believe I'm going to read the book before I see the movie! At this point, I'm thinking Divergent's premise is pretty well known...read here for Amazon's summary if you need a refresher. Or, you can hop on over to Book-alicious Mama to check out her Divergent read-a-long discussions! Chapters 1-12 and Chapters 13-25. End of the book discussion at Book-alicious Mama will post later this week.

Knowing Divergent was dystopian lit made it easy for the parallels to the Hunger Games to snag my attention. Expected because they are both dystopian novels, but still very cool to notice. Both books are post apocalyptic and, as a result, society has divided itself into groups. The Hunger Games has 12 districts divided by the materials they produce; Divergent has five factions, divided by virtues. Each society is governed by one of the groups and the books focus on the remaining groups revolting.

In both books, the main character/heroine is a strong, independent girl who doesn't know she is strong nor does she feel independent. Simply wanting to eke out an existence of their own and nothing more, it is only through the eyes of others that Katniss (Hunger Games) and Tris (Divergent) realize they are truly strong and brave despite how they feel. Both girls unintentionally become the face of justice/rebellion in their societies, righting the numerous wrongs against humanity.

Oh, and romance. Both heroines have romantic interests throughout their journeys. Like Collins did in the Hunger Games, I think Roth handles the romantic aspect of Divergent well. It's not too much nor too little.

One difference did stand out. In the Hunger Games, the major occurrences of death in the main characters were mostly in the revolution of the last book of the trilogy, Mockingjay. I can't speak for the other two books of the Divergent series yet, but Divergent itself (the first book) has a number of important characters die. The likeness between the last Hunger Games and first Divergent's death of characters is that both contain a revolution. The Hunger Games trilogy ended with a revolution from the good guys, while Divergent's trilogy begins with a revolution from the bad guys. I am very interested to see where this revolution from the start could possibly go!

Since I loved the Hunger Games, it is safe to say I love Divergent. I would even venture to say I like Divergent more so far. The characters and setting seem a little deeper to me. And Roth has quite a few quotable lines as well.

Have you read Divergent? Are you going to see the movie?

12 comments:

  1. I really liked Divergent and Insurgent. I was really disappointed in Allegiant. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can almost guarantee I'll feel the same. It seems the third book of most any trilogy I've read in the last few years has fallen flat. But I've read series with four to seven books and their last books do not fall flat. Wonder why?

      Delete
  2. I plan on reading this one soon and it will be this year, since I said so in my happy 2014 post. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed The Hunger Games, but I'm yet to read the rest of the series. WIll probably get to Divergent after that.

    I did comment yesterday, but I see the comment didn't go through :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for coming back to comment! Definitely finish Hunger Games series first. Part of the fun has been comparing the two series in my head as I read the Divergent series.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure about this whole Divergent thing. I felt the same way about the Twilight books (I KNOW) and The Hunger Games before I read them. Sometimes I have a hard time getting past my inner book snob and she's pretty loud about these. In general I don't read much YA. Next time I see my (17 year old) sister maybe I will ask to take a peek...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm picky about my YA too. I waited a long time before I read Harry Potter and Twilight. Somehow I read the Hunger Games before it was a craze. I figure I have to work my way up to some books or I won't enjoy them as much. Most times I read a book because it's a hot new craze, I don't enjoy it as much as I could've if I waited til I was good and ready.

      Delete
  4. I love how you compare the two series to each other. I think the next time I visit the library, I'll check Divergent out for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she liked Hunger Games, she will like Divergent!

      Delete
  5. Interesting how you've compared this one to Hunger Games! I actually knew nothing of the premise of this one until I watched a movie preview recently. I think I'll wait for video until it comes out and I'm just not sure about reading the series. I loved the first Hunger Games and the second but it took me over a year to finish Mockingjay. Not sure I want to do that again with another series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storyline between the two series is different, but all of the dystopian elements are such parallels. I didn't care too much for Mockingjay myself. I am crossing my fingers that the Divergent movie will be good!

      Delete
  6. I was so addict in Divergent, that I read the book in a few hours!
    It's an amazing story, and very creative.
    Although, I don't think the two collections deserve to be compared, actually I dislike this comparison. They're very differents, and the only similarity I see is the main characters are women of strong character.

    http://carolinaribeirobr.blogspot.com.br/?view=classic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because they are both such great series it makes it hard for us to compare them. The two women are definitely the strongest connection...their personalities are very much alike.

      If I gave a general description, someone couldn't tell which book I was talking about: It's about revolution. Society is divided into groupings for "a better way of life," but that's only by the standards of the other people controlling them. One young woman steps up and her actions change the system, propelling the society into revolution and eventually freedom. And in the last book we find that the controllers are not who we thought they were.

      Delete