Monday, November 4, 2013

The World's Strongest Librarian

Source: kcpw.org



I'm a fan of memoirs. It is always so amazing to hear about the things people endure and overcome. So I rarely hesitate to read a memoir that has multiple recommendations. The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne most definitely fits the bill. 

There are a number of interesting pieces Hanagarne talks about. For example, he grew up in the Mormon Church. Throughout the memoir he shares the tenets of the Mormon faith, honestly speaking to the part faith has played in his life both in the past and present. Aside from his faith, his physical attributes also play a big part in his memoir.

At 6'7" tall, Hanagarne stands out, to say the least. However, it's not always his height that draws people's attention first. It may be the sudden contortion of his arms, rapid blinking, or guttural noises, none of which he can control. Josh Hanagarne has Tourette Syndrome. Tourette's is a disorder that is neither fully understood nor truly treatable. Hanagarne gives the most amazing insight into life with Tourette's, from his first symptoms to what seemed like control and then relapse. 

Hanagarne's fight with Tourette's dominated his life for many years, driving him from college after college and job after job. Exercise - lifting and various other trainings -  leads him to understand what enrages his tics. Armed with this knowledge, Hanagarne challenges himself to take control and applies for a job in the local library. And so the world's strongest librarian's life takes flight.

Absolutely inspirational and humorous, Hanagarne has written a memoir you will enjoy. What are some of the amazing challenges you have read about in memoirs?

18 comments:

  1. What a great review!! I loved this memoir. Enjoyed reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Some books are so good, they make it easy to review!

      Delete
  2. Lovely review! I have only read good reviews on this one, and I should really put this on my TBR list... right!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! He really has voice in his writing, which can be hard even for good writers and whether or not the story is good.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book. I won it and cannot believe it took me so long to pick up. It's funny because the premise doesn't sound mind-blowing or anything, but the book itself is a really great one! I recommend it to all readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's Hanagarne's personality coming through that makes it so good. I can imagine talking to him in person just from reading his book.

      Delete
  4. I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was so good! Another amazing memoir is Etched in Sand by Regina Calacterra. She grew up more or less parentless and bouncing around foster homes and is now an influential woman in public policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been your blog where I first saw it and put it on my TBR! Etched in Sand is still on the TBR...once again from you! Lol

      Delete
  5. One of the most interesting I read last year was Mar Samuelsson's memoir YES CHEF. He's a well known chef now but started life as a Somalian orphan. Fascinating look at the world of chefs and dealing with race. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy all kinds of memoirs, but those like Strongest Librarian and Yes Chef (from what you've said) are among the best I think. Overcoming!

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and your review, too. I hope he keeps writing as he's a good storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Agreed - if he published anything else, I'd read it in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  7. Every review I see of this is a great one, you've just given me another reason to want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so many things about this book; it's probably about time I read it! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on my December TBR list. I am excited to read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You will like it - good way to finish off the year!

      Delete