Monday, September 30, 2013

Orange is the New Black

Source: autostraddle.com


Thanks to the Netflix series, most everyone knows that Orange is the New Black is about a middle class white woman who serves a short sentence in a women's prison. Of course, my reader OCD insisted I read the book first.

Piper Kerman recalls mostly her feelings throughout each instance in this memoir...duh, there's going to be nothing but a mess of feelings. She recalls both incidents involving her and incidents not involving her. Taken one by one, the incidents don't seem to stand out as exciting or amazing; however, as an overall piece, I believe Kerman accomplishes what she may have intended.

As each story and incident is told, they begin to layer upon each other until a picture of the American prison system comes into focus. I believe this is what Kerman wants readers to see: the humanity, struggling to stay human, behind bars. I am torn with this overall picture. The logical part of me says, "You screwed up, you're in prison, that's the way it works." But my heart aches at the various ways in which prisoners are wrongly treated, abused, and taken advantage of by those looking after them. 

Kerman also echoes that of another nonfiction book I reviewed in April called Shakespeare Saved My Life, by Laura Bates. (Bates teaches Shakespeare to hard core inmates and watches their lives turn around before her eyes.) In both books, the authors talk about the usefulness (or lack thereof) of prison activity. If a woman couriers drugs because she has no other way to make a living, you lock her up for a term of so many years, then release her, what do you think she will do once out? She's gotta eat somehow and she has no more skills now than she did before she was locked up. Why is the time spent in prison not being used to give the inmates skills and abilities to make an honest living on the outside? Why are the programs nonexistent or half-assed? This is a point upon which I can whole heartedly agree with both authors and have softened on my view of free education/college in prisons.

While the book was not a page turner in my opinion, I think Kerman asks the reader to observe these basic human needs through her experience and realize there are definite problems with the system, which are hurting very human people, cons or not. Sometimes her logic and stats are questionable...such as the fact that 435,000 people a year die from cigarettes in the US, while the toll for illicit drugs (which these prisoners are mostly in for) is 17,000. I would bet many more people are smoking cigarettes than shooting heroin throughout the nation, which skews the numbers in heroin's favor. Regardless, she does paint a picture that makes you think. 

Now on to watch the Netflix series! Anyone watch it? Anyone know how many seasons there are?

11 comments:

  1. I went against my usual rules and watched the series without reading the book (everyone was raving!) and I really enjoyed it. There's only one season so far, and from what I've heard it follows the book pretty closely but expands on the backstories of many of the other inmates. I hope you update with your thoughts on the book vs. the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the series sounds good. I will definitely write up a comparison!

      Delete
  2. Lots of my friends watch the show and love it. It is refreshing to have a show with an almost all-female cast get so much press.

    I used to work on a Hepatitis C risk reduction study, and all of my participants were active heroin and/or cocaine users. Working with them definitely changed my perspective on the prison system and mandatory sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mandatory sentencing is the other issue the two books above really made me reconsider. Also the newer movie with The Rock called Snitch really made me think about mandatory sentencing.

      Delete
  3. Like Shannon, I went against my own rules and watched the season first ;) I had heard that the book was very different. That's how I justified my rule breaking, ha! I am interested in reading the book though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Havin only watched the first five minutes of the first episode, I'm thinking the series will be much more entertaining...if that's the word for it?!

      Delete
  4. I read this book when it was first published and was delighted (and surprised) when it became a series. I loved this book - I thought that Kerman did an amazing job humanizing the statistics that make up the women`s prison system in the States. The show is amazing. It`s funny, irreverant, honest, heartbreaking and totally addictive. The good news is that there`s only one season so you`ll catch up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does do a good job pointing out the insufficiencies of the prison system. The series seems like it will be a little more "active." It almost feels like not much "happened" to her in prison, but I don't want to discount that experience - it had to be crazy.

      Delete
  5. I JUST finished the season 2 nights ago. . . It's a good show, and I watch a lot of prison things, and it seemed more accurate than other shows. I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, just MORE accurate than Prison Break (which I loved btw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I've been waiting to come across another good show to follow. Is there another season starting this fall?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure when the next season starts. My husband looked it up and they are still filming, so it won't be this fall.

      Delete