Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Bout of Books 16 Update

Bout of Books


I am happy to say that during this week's read-a-thon I found success! It's always so hit or miss, but Bout of Books 16 coincided with a particularly hard week and I escaped to my books every night. It felt wonderful.

Sunday the 8th found me in the middle of two books, Anything by Jennie Allen and That's Not English by Erin Moore. Both of these have reviews on the horizon, so I won't say much here except that they're both of the nonfiction variety. Between Sunday and Tuesday (Monday had a late, extended meeting), I finished both of them off.

Wednesday found me reading Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa TerKeurst. I've enjoyed TerKeurst's books in the past and her contributions to Proverbs 31 Women's Ministry as well. Again the nonfiction kick. My nonfiction lately definitely has a theme...searching. I made it 60% through this book before Bout of Books officially ended yesterday. Much of it was read sitting for three hours in the comfy chair at my local B&N Friday night. I have got to do that more often!

And after passing them around to a few people, my Miss Peregrine's trilogy came back to me and I dug into the last one, Library of Souls. I was proctoring state tests and electronics are not allowed. Since all of my current grading and school work is online, that left me with only the choice of an actual book to read...darn, right? Should have it done with this week I think.

Throughout the week I also reread much of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. My Honors English 11 class chose it as the novel to finish off our school year and I have to say I am liking it more than the first time I read it years ago. Age and experience goes far toward the reread of a novel.

And it's always a good Bout of Books when you have a Twitter Chat to brighten the day. I only made it to Saturday's, but found great bookish people and conversation, as well as more people to follow. Bout of Books 16 was a success. Thanks to all who set it up and participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment