Friday, April 22, 2016

Voyager (aka Outlander #3)

Source: dianagabaldon.com
I've collected all eight Outlander books at this point and just finished reading number three, Voyager. However, I accidentally read (instead of glanced at) a piece of the jacket summary of a later book when glancing through them at B&N. Big mistake - I swear I saw something about Jamie and/or Claire married to other people and I hurriedly shoved the book back on the shelf in horror. (Please, NO SPOILERS.) Since then, I've read my Outlander books with fear niggling the back of my mind.

So you can imagine my relief when Jamie and Claire find each other again in Voyager (that's the only spoiler, if it even counts as one). And the mini cardiac arrest I had each time they were separated. This is perhaps the magic of Jamie and Claire Fraser for me.  They've drawn me in so that I can't stand to see them apart even for a moment. I'm only happy if they are doing every single thing in the world together!

Impractical, unreasonable, and unrealistic...I don't care. That's what I love about books - it's not unrealistic to want in books what you can't have in real life! And things that don't work in real life (living every single moment next to the same person), works in books.

Anyway, Voyager has everything readers loved from the first two Outlander books: Jamie Fraser, plenty of adventure, plot twists, an ending that sets up the next book amazingly, and did I mention Jamie Fraser? Secret identities, surprising pasts, pirates, kidnapping, treasure, witchery, and more of the same characters we love and some we love to hate. Set twenty years after we last saw Jamie and Claire together, it makes for a pretty glorious reunion if you feel about them as I do.

If you've read the first one or two, keep reading! If you haven't read Outlander at all, get reading! Drums of Autumn (#4), here I come!


My reading buddy, Samoa

9 comments:

  1. THIS! "They've drawn me in so that I can't stand to see them apart even for a moment." That is the truth. I marathonned the first four books back in the day, and I really need to get back on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good - now I don't feel completely crazy! Haha - I was having flashes of the Twihards who were all crazy for Bella and Edward. I liked Twilight, but keep telling myself this is different.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad I read your "spoiler" and that they get back together. I read the second one and felt an acute sense of loss! It's just crazy! There is something about the characters that just sucks you in. I will keep reading. Probably should set aside a weekend for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great thing to read for a read-a-thon. To finish off an Outlander book in a week! Wow!

      Delete
    2. Oh and I agree on the sense of loss at the end of the second book. I was quite ticked at the beginning of the second book when I saw they weren't together!

      Delete
  3. This is one of the best of the series because of the reunion. Awwwww they are cute, Clare preparing herself for the journey and Jamie, oblivious of her arrival, trying to resume his life after the time in prison...

    I don't want to annoy your, but the rest of the series, from my point of view, are too long, less interesting. Yes, there are adventures, but it's not the same. However, taking into account that they are set in North America now, perhaps you find them more appealing. I'm looking forward to reading your opinion.

    (And don't worry about that thing you read accidentally; it's not what it seems)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting take Isi. I wonder how the setting will seem to me beings I live here and know the history. There is something to be said about unknown settings though. I never thought about Scotland much before these books and now I like the thought of it. It's connected to characters I love, so it gets loved too! Lol

      Delete
  4. Oh! Thank you for this! I'm excited to read this. I'll be waiting for the next update! http://www.consumeressentials.com/

    ReplyDelete