Monday, July 28, 2014

Me Before You

Source: Amazon.com
As often happens, my fellow bloggers have led me to another author and book I enjoyed. Based on my experience reading Me Before You, Jojo Moyes constructs interesting characters, whom I care about, and a plot that keeps me reading.

Me Before You is the story of Will Traynor's life after a tragic accident and ordinary Lou, who cares for him out of her desperation for a job. In many ways Me Before You follows the typical boy meets girl storyline, unlikely people meeting in unlikely situations. However, this particular unlikeliness creates a twist that makes the story all its own. The twist drives the story through to its ending, which was unsure to me until the last couple pages. And the ending is one about which everyone will have an opinion!

Unfortunately, there is little I can say without giving away the very happenings that build the story to its ending. But with the tag line, "What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?", who wouldn't want to check it out? I enjoyed Jojo Moyes's ability to draw me into the story with an interesting beginning and only a measure of romance to carry it out. I will definitely read another of her books.

I know there are other Jojo Moyes fans out there! Any title suggestions?

15 comments:

  1. I have read it a couple of weeks ago and I loved it!!
    I didn't expect such a story, and I liked the characters - Lou and her family and boyfriend add a touch to the main story - and Will and his situation... I wasn't sure about the end either, but I think it couldn't end in other way.
    It's a beautiful story and here Mss Moyes has another fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I expected such a story either, so I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the end was different because it didn't follow most love stories.

      Delete
  2. I did not expect to feel so much from this book. I've only read the one though so I don't have recommendations. When you get them, send them my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! The Girl You Left Behind is one others have loved.

      Delete
  3. I cried so much! In a good way. You know. If there is a good way to cry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is my next Jojo Moyes read. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm dead set on reading it. I've only heard good things. I don't like romance, but I do like how Jojo Moyes writes unconventional love stories and make it so much more than just that element. I think I have a fair idea of what to expect from this book (read so many reviews) so I'm definitely looking forward to the read. Let's hope I cry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely like how she works the romance into the story.

      Delete
  5. I have not read any Jojo Moyes. Thanks for the review! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only one I've read, but it seems to be among the most popular from what I've seen around and read.

      Delete
  6. I liked this one so much more than I expected. The premise didn't really do anything for me on the front end, but the characterization laid me flat in a great way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't expect the characterization! It was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  7. Yes and then when we finally read one we're like why did I wait?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jojo Moyes, so I'd love to read this one! My favorite book by Moyes so far is One Plus One, but Silver Bay and The Girl You Left Behind were both really good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reviewing The Ship of Brides in October, but after that I want to read The Girl You Left Behind because I read so many reviews of it. Kind of divided too, if I remember correctly.

      Delete