Sunday, October 27, 2013

Begin the Week with Words


I often come across a sentence or a paragraph and just want to share it...sometimes I don't even know why. So, my weekly Sunday post will be these sentences or paragraphs I've come across in my reading and need to share! (Yes, I'm using you ;)

Today's quote is one Walt Whitman would be especially proud of, which is also the reason it caught my eye. Two men, a hundred and fifty plus years apart, resonating with the same idea. 

"The public library contains multitudes. And each person who visits contains multitudes as well. Each of us is a library of thoughts, memories, experiences, and odors. We adapt to one another to produce the human condition."

from The World's Strongest Librarian, by Josh Hanagarne

10 comments:

  1. This is a great one! ('ve heard nothing book good things about that book. You could link up with David Abrams and his Sunday Sentence! http://davidabramsbooks.blogspot.com/2013/10/sunday-sentence-on-kingdom-mountain-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to add: you can link by tagging with #SundaySentence through Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely quotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! And seriously, The World's Strongest Librarian was soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I'm going to be able to put these up without comment (maybe without context, but definitely not without comment). The Whitmanesque-ness of it was too cool and I like talking about why phrases hit me a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! Love to think about the layers of experience, the different viewpoints we bring to the things we read and what better way to collect all of that than the library! You're making me jones for a library hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the author is doing a good job - his book is a memoir about his life, including the fact that he's a librarian!

      Delete
  7. Love the quote, loved the book. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete