Friday, November 9, 2012

In Memoriam 4



Fast forward through the busy summer (which I spent in class and at home writing 20 page finals to finish grad school) to the new school year, 2008-2009. I see Paul around the school, but not as much because he has moved on to tenth grade, so I don't have him in class. The year moves along as school years are wont to do.

November 9th, fourth period, I am in the middle of a grammar lesson for my 7th graders. (Strangely enough, those same 7th graders are my 11th graders right now, in 2012.) Another teacher walks in and says he is there to cover the rest of the period for me. I'm confused because I wasn't told I had a meeting of any kind. He's as clueless as I am, but as I  sum up the end, assign their homework and pack up my stuff, an administrator comes in and walks me down the hall. "We're just going down the hall here to tell you something...don't worry, it's not your family or anything." What!? I wasn't really thinking of anything specific or bad, let alone a problem with my family! What was this?

We stopped just a few doors down and she let me into a small office, locking the door behind us. Inside there were two teachers seated in chairs to my left and another standing directly in front of me, in the doorway of another little office. I didn't really notice anything because I didn't know what to expect. If I had paid attention upon entering I would've noticed wet cheeks and downcast eyes.

"Paul was found dead this morning. He hung himself," the teacher in the doorway was able to get out in a quick, shallow breath.

I remember a silence so pervasive I could feel it pressing in and counting down through the tick of my watch. I heard, rather than felt, my bag drop from my shoulder, hitting the ground with a solid thump. Hot tears spilled from my eyes, instantly chilling on my cheeks, as I took the two big steps to the teacher in the doorway. Although shorter than me, she leaned into the embrace I offered, the shared sorrow.

After a minute we sat in the little inner office together, in silence. They wanted to tell me and a couple others before they sent a school wide announcement out. And thanks to the technology of texting, word was getting around through the few students who knew. I wondered at first why they chose to tell me separately, not realizing my previous efforts with Paul placed me in close proximity to him. Looking back now I am grateful for their respect of my feelings because I had been more involved than I realized, but they had noticed.

We never heard the exact events...a fight and he ran off is all I was told. But who knows what "fight"consists of, who was involved, what was said, what was done.

I went on to my next period class at the bell, where we happened to be given a handout to announce Paul's passing as gently as possible. Most of my class, only a year behind him in school, said things like, "Who?" "Oh, well I don't know him." And life moved on.

I am not one to struggle over death. My family has always mourned, but we were not raised to commemorate it, to make it a ghost that haunts us. And I never have (although I don't know what I'll do if it's ever my immediate family). But this one has stuck with me. For a long time I could not look at his bus stop, which was the end of the road he lived on, and beyond the dead end of that short road, the woods in which they found him.

My husband and niece (who attends my school) attended the calling hours with me. I didn't know if I wanted to go, but students who knew Paul kept asking if I was going, so I went as much for them as myself and Paul. The school very kindly volunteered a substitute so a few of us teachers could attend the funeral. To this day I have not listened to the song they played at his funeral, even though it had been on my iPod before. My husband and I bought a copy of Chris Crutcher's Ironman, labeled with a dedication in memory of Paul inside the front cover, for the school library. His obit from the newspaper is clipped and tucked away in my fire proof box with my car title, marriage license, birth certificates, and teaching certificates. And every year since, on November 9th, I have commemorated him on my Facebook page and classroom whiteboard quietly, without fanfare, but always remembering.

Always remembering because Paul is my reminder that there is more to people than what we see and even what they will show us. Of how our lives have the ability to touch others, but we have to be intentional about it. We cannot be afraid of messing up because we will. We cannot allow ourselves to be too afraid of the messiness of life - it is reaching into that messiness and meeting people where they are that shows them you care most. It's where we make the biggest difference. Paul is my reminder to reach out and love the people around me.

12 comments:

  1. Just stopped by to read it ...again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roshni for your kind words throughout these posts and your post on FB. Your support has become very special to me and I appreciate it greatly.

      Delete
  2. The remembrance of a person’s passing is like glimpsing a shadow, never quite there, never quite gone. It’s the life they lived which honors our own. You honored Paul by caring; your fellow teachers honored you by quietly telling you of his death, you honor us by telling his story.
    Thank you caring thank you for telling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennine, I posted the following on FB this morning. It pretty much repeats my comment to you.
    Almost everyday I enter what I call a QQ a "Quotable Quote". Your "In Memoriam" has been taking up a lot of space in my head lately and in my heart. Keep well.
    .....

    I am posting this today to honor the life of a young man I never knew, his name was Paul. I am doing this because of a tribute written by a dear friend I have never met.

    QQ of the day:
    The remembrance of a person’s passing is like glimpsing a shadow, never quite there, never quite gone. Remembering their lives recalls our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wry. It means the world to me that there are people out there who think about others this way and care about the experiences we can share and be better people because of it.

      Your QQ is beautiful and so true. Remembering does recall our own lives.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an amazing story and an inspiring teacher you are. I am sorry that Paul's story ended so tragically but I love you commemorate hs memory every year. It's a great reminder for us all to be more empathetic with those we come across, we never know what they are going through. I am glad you took the time to really see Paul for who he was. I hope other teachers take that time for the sake of those kids in trouble who need help and don't ask or it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya for taking the time to read it. Since then, I've had this lesson reiterated. It is an ongoing, never changing fact: there is usually more to people than meets the eye.

      Delete
  5. Moving. I'm going to keep it short and sweet, and just say that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This touching story brought tears to my eyes... What a wonderful teacher you are. Even though there wasn't a "happy ending," I'm sure you brought so much good to Paul's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He brought good to me, I can say that for sure. Made me realize I need to keep my eyes open to those around me. Thanks for reading.

      Delete