Thursday, October 20, 2016

New Levels of Excitement: the Library

This post's original title ideas were "I Hate the Library" and "My Frenemy the Library," but then I thought I'd stick with a familiar title I'd already started this month - "New Levels of Excitement" - and it would apply just as well. These titles aren't meshing are they? Let me explain.

I've always loved libraries. When I was two my grandmother told my mom she didn't know what to do with me, I just wanted to sit and "read" my little books. My high school librarian told me once she loved that I took books out - not just books, but classics. I paid for lifetime alumni status at my undergrad university so I would have access to their library forever. I helped fundraise to establish the newer library in my community after spending a childhood walking to and perusing the smaller, out-of-date one. My longest standing car window sticker reads "I ❤️ my library."

Given my history of love affairs with libraries, where can the words hate and frenemy possibly fit? On a Saturday night, 9:30pm, the cold seventh floor of Kent State's library. On hour 12 of work, with only a 45-ish minute interruption around dinnertime to drive from Youngstown State's closing library to Kent's open late library. Nose running from the cold and the one thing my backpack the size and weight of a small child doesn't have is tissues. McDonald's for dinner, again, and feeling like it's been one McDonald's meal too many. Confusing books scattered around while I alternate between my document and another confusing reference guide online. My right hand is freezing from using the mouse; hours plugging away at my laptop.

In that moment the words came unbidden to my mind: I hate the library.

I think I physically flinched from the blow to my mind. What a grievous sin for a lover of everything a library represents. Surely I could let the concussion subside and no one would ever be privy to the thought? And yet, the feeling lingered, demanding to be felt. So, I'm breaking the first rule of this fight club; I'm talking about it.

Life, and everything in it, is multifaceted. Think of the people and passions you live for. I love my husband and kids dearly, but they can also drive me crazy (and I them). I have some of the best people on earth for friends, but they can disappoint (as I disappoint them). I live my passion teaching high school English, luckier than most people get in a career, but it's hard to roll out of that warm bed every morning. I love books, learning, education, searching and finding, but I loathe heading to the library as of late.

Do I deny the crazy of my people, the difficulties of my job, the challenge of my current dream just because I love them? No. I can't. Everyone and everything has multiple sides, the good and the bad. How can we truly claim love when we only want to accept half of the person or the easy side of the situation? This life and world are not perfect and we set ourselves up for disappointment and despair when we sweep hard feelings under the rug in the name of a pretentious peace and contentment. The hard feelings demand to be felt and allowing the feeling to come and go is the only way they will resolve. Once resolved, what's left? Love. Real love, as it should be, for everything a person, passion, or dream really is, not just what we want it to be.

I left soon after my hard thoughts in the library that night, unable to understand why I felt so wronged by something I'd faithfully devoted myself to for so long. It wasn't half an hour later that I took the nighttime photo of the library posted here, texting it to a friend in my sudden awe. Twelve stories of wondrous humanity, with the school's beautiful blue colors streaking up the front, lighting the darkness. And just like that, I'm in love again, for better or worse.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful essay :) As for the love/hate relationship with the library, I know the feeling. Although, my feelins have to do with the very specific things I love/hate about my local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It helped settle me into the work this week when I realized this journey is like anything else in life, there's the part you love and the part you don't and it's all part of the package.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jennine, long time since I've been here. Life ugh.
    The Library ?

    Hey we all have our faults, even our libraries. They are not your mama's library. They're just so big, so fully-packed with EVERYTHING, so intimidating and so necessary. And they are not open twenty-four hours, (what's with that), at least the ones around here aren't.
    Your love/hate relationship is like my love/hate/obsessive relationship with my computer. I must be honest, it has been MY library way too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! How are you?! My current university library is open 24 hours Sunday morning through Friday night. They only close Friday and Saturday nights...the two nights I would take advantage of the 24 hour time, of course. We make do though!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jenine,
    This is my first time commenting on your blog and I somehow relate to this, but the love/hate relationship that you have, relates to mine with my friends, whom I sometime love to group up with but at some instance i just completely ignore them and stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear from you! And you know, I felt that way for a long time in relation to people around me. I just couldn't always handle being around people, even my friends. Maybe it was the time of life I was in or the exact people around me at the time, but I've gotten better with it. But we all need that personal space and alone time too.

      Delete
  4. Hah, I did wonder where this was going after that first paragraph. I wonder if I will have this feeling at some point in the future...perhaps it's inevitable for those of us who adore libraries so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I finally hit school work that really challenged me. Up til now the library has always been good and fun. But even in a challenge, coming out the other side feels so good and the library was a part of it!

      Delete