Sunday, January 20, 2013

THEE List 2013


I was going to write a super creative paragraph or two talking about some random topic while incorporating my book list for 2013, but I've got too much Les Mis on the mind and I think I'll be writing about that soon instead.

Every year I make a list of 50 books I'd like to read. I never make it through the whole list because other things come up and sometimes I happen upon another irresistible read or recommendation. But making a list every year allows me to peruse my shelves and anticipate new publications for which I've been waiting. One problem I anticipate is the rereading of Anna Karenina and first time read of The Count of Monte Cristo. At 864 and 1462 pages respectively, those are big chunks of reading time; however, I really want to reread AK before seeing the movie and CMC has been haunting me, so I am going to attempt them both!

So here for your viewing pleasure (and maybe some ideas) is the list of books I want to read in 2013.

PS: number 50 is empty - nothing was grabbing me. Suggestions welcome!

2013 Book List

1. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
2. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
3. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
4. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
5. At Home: a Short History of Private Life - Bill Bryson
6. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
7. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
8. Accomplice - Eireann Corrigan
9. before i fall - Lauren Oliver
10. Willow - Julia Hoban
11. Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson
12. Who Do You Think You Are? - Mark Driscoll
13. Give Them Grace - Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
14. The Maze Runner - James Dashner
15. The Scorch Trials - James Dashner
16. The Death Cure - James Dashner 
17. Unwind - Neil Shusterman
18. Dead to You - Lisa McMann
19. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
20. Pretties - Scott Westerfeld
21. Specials - Scott Westerfeld
22. Extras - Scott Westerfeld
23. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (reread)
24. The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
25. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
26. Watership Down - Richard Adams
27. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
28. The Pearl - John Steinbeck
29. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
30. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford
31. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck
32. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
33. The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
34. The Time Keeper - Mitch Albom
35. The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards
36. Tearing the Silence - Ursula Hegi
37. The Writing Life - Annie Dillard
38. MWF Seeking BFF - Rachel Bertsche
39. How Reading Changed My Life - Anna Quindlen
40. Ruined by Reading - Lynne Sharon Schwartz
41. The Liars' Club - Mary Karr
42. Cherry - Mary Karr
43. Lit - Mary Karr
44. Monkey Mind - Daniel Smith
45. The Intolerance of Tolerance - D.A. Carson
46. Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
47. The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
48. Freakonomics - Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
49. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
50. 

14 comments:

  1. I've already finished numbers 14 and 15. Number 16 is the last in the trilogy. Then I am continuing on my YA kick with "Dead to You," "Unwind," and "The Fault in Our Stars."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Summer and holiday breaks I read through the night and sleep through the morning! Lol This way I get to read uninterrupted and sleep when my kids are still laying around the house half asleep themselves.

      School year, not as much reading. I've got to read like a maniac until September...I have AP Composition to teach again next year and that means lots of essays and papers to grade!

      Delete
  3. I've just discovered Tim Winton, so maybe Cloudstreet or Dirt Music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His name sounds familiar...I will look those up! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Ifn you have not read them, The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and On the Origin of Species by Darwin. My two suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a student who has been bothering me for four years to read Hitchhikers...

      Delete
  5. Also adding Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut to my suggestions. It's on my list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read that in grad school - think I'd have to do some research of the history first if I reread it. I feel like I missed something.

      Delete
  6. I just finished GONE GIRL which I really, really enjoyed. I'm on a Nora Ephron kick at the moment. Right now I'm reading one of the only plays she ever rote, IMAGINARY FRIENDS, based on the rivalry between Mary McCarthy and Lillian Hellman. The front cover shows a picture of two little girls on a hammock, laughing. The words "Liar" and "Bitch" are crayoned in on the photograph. That Nora Ephron. How she makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Gone Girl was enjoyable! And I don't think I've ever read any Nora Ephron. Do you have a favorite of hers?

      Delete
    2. She hooked me with her collection of essays entitled, I REMEMBER NOTHING. I never saw the film but her novel HEARTBURN was also quite enjoyable. I hope she gave her ex half the royalties for that one.

      Delete
  7. Impressive list--I've read about 1/4 of these. Cloud Atlas is on my list for this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it's confusing to follow, which is why I'm taking it on, of course. It was going to be my holiday vacation read in December, but I ended up reading Les Mis that whole month.

      Delete